Friday, October 15, 2021

Social Media and Me

I have been struggling with a problem where I hope Five Cent Thinking's readers will offer some advice either as a response to this post or via my normal email.   NOTE #1 - As the owner of this blog I have control over what appears here; so if you want to respond but not publicly please put that in your response and I will not publish your comments.

I joined Facebook in its early stages(2004), at the time it seemed like an interesting platform which could provide two benefits.   First, as someone who spent a career working on public policy issues I thought it might be a place to participate in engaging discussions about key issues.   Second, it seemed like a way to communicate with friends and acquaintances many of whom I have not been able to keep up with over the years.

About the time I started being on Facebook I also set up a Twitter account.  But I have never used it much, if this blog has proven anything, I am not prone to short form writing!   But part of my aversion was based on the need to not react to events instantaneously.  

I continuously avoid watching any of the cable channels because of their absurd need to fill every waking minute with "news".   I first recognized the trend when I was coming back from a trip to Mexico at the time that Princess Diana died (1997).  My Spanish at the time was much more limited than now but even without understanding all the words, I noticed a pattern of commentary and images that I found disconcerting.  

Soon after I joined FB, a friend who I knew from both politics and because she was a doctoral student at SC when I was there, invited me to join a group of political types her dad had created (but this time the group was digital).   I knew a lot of the people in the group and  met some interesting people through it. The politics of the group was diverse.  But the "Wheelspinners" deteriorated after a couple of people on both sides of the political divide substituted invective for argument.   In a valiant attempt to continue the positive notions from the original group it revived it under a new name.  But that also deteriorated somewhat quickly.  

One consequence for me, if I decide to leave FB, is that I will no longer be able to exchange  insights with the half dozen people on the group who constantly help me understand nuances on a wide range of issues.  In the time I have been on FB I have been periodically surprised by a someone's different take on something I had thought quite settled.  In the Bismarkean sense part of the "politics is the art of the possible" for me is the ability to consider all sorts of options.

Both Facebook and Twitter seem to fit what a good friend in Sacramento used to call Kabuki politics.  We watch contending sides put on their makeup and join the political fray with masks or makeup on - not wanting to contend but more wanting to engage in stylized discussions where the genuine opportunity to think about things in new ways is scorned.

Let me add that I believe that the key people at FB and Twitter have absolutely no scruples.  They have consistently censored substantive ideas which do not fit their worldview.  

From my perspective the country needs to have some reasoned debate about a lot of issues including (for me)  the big four of 1) Climate change, 2) Wealth and Income Inequality, 3) Racial Reconciliation, 4) Fiscal Policy (come on, when one wrote his dissertation on Tax Theory that one is essential).   But serious discussion does not seem to be forthcoming.  You are not a "denier" or a "deplorable" because you have a different understanding of both the nature of a specific problem and the best way to handle it.

In my mind the current system of identifying political leaders is not serving us well. When I started in the political arena there were politicians on both sides of the aisle that I admired.  Now the number of politicians in that group from either party is very limited.   IF you believe that in at least the last two presidential elections we had what David Halberstam called the "best and the brightest" as the standard bearers for either party, I guess we are going to have to disagree.   Dick Tuck, who was a thorn in Richard Nixon's side for a good part of his career had the great quip that the "lesser of two evils is still evil" (I know that many attribute that to Jerry Garcia) and I think in trying to defend our choice for President that we ignore that maxim.   

For the last year and a half, the country has devolved into discussions which I believe have been structured to evidence virtue signaling rather than exchange of views.  I will admit that I can get on a high horse too.  But quite frankly, I am tired of engaging in these kinds of yammerings.  As long as we are relegated to retreating into tribes, we won't make progress in discovering the best of options.

A bit more than a year ago, a good friend who had been a distinguished college president and a keen analyst of our political environment posted on Facebook that she was leaving it.  She is a certified FOB (Friend of Bill) having gone to law school with both Clintons.  She actually taught a course with an economist of my persuasion in the Claremont Colleges.  I would have liked to been able to audit the course.  I am sure it was a good set of exchanges.  When she announced her intention to dump FB I wrote her (outside of FB) about the decision.   She replied that the cost of participation in FB far exceeded any benefits.  Over the years I have had some superb discussions with her about a wide range of issues.  We often do not agree on solutions but the exchanges have been fun.

About a decade ago a Georgetown computer science professor, in his blog Study Hacks offered a simple equation to discern the value of technologies - “ Technologies are great, but if you want to keep control of your time and attention have the self-confidence to insist that they earn their keep before you make them a regular part of your life.” FB fails on that equation.

One final comment;  an obvious solution would be to use the Wildavsky Maxim (Aaron was a professor at UC Berkeley) He quipped that politicians should "NO, thyself" - so I could simply quit responding to political posts. Quite frankly, I am pretty sure that would not work for someone who spent more than 4 decades working in the vineyard of politics.

So here is the ask.  I am thinking of dropping Facebook by the end of the month.  Here are my three questions.  1) do you have any thoughts about stepping out of social media?  2) For many of my buddies on Facebook is there a good way to stay in touch without FB? I really do enjoy hearing about families and trips.   3) Do you have any other suggestions about how someone who would like to continue to discuss public policy issues can do that in without being stuck in the mire of virtue that both sides of the spectrum try to hold us in?

NOTE #2  - If you do not have an Email address for me (outside of FB) and want to communicate privately or simply stay in touch after I leave FB,  please use messenger and I will get back to you.

NOTE #3  - On October 4, Facebook went down and Joanna Stern - the ACE technology reporter for the WSJ had suggestions for getting your data from Facebook and ideas for alternative platforms to use to stay in touch.   If you do not subscribe to the WSJ - send me an Email and I will send you a Pdf of the article.

NOTE #4 - And I realize this might sound contradictory.  Even if I dump Facebook - I will continue to use the FB product called What's Ap - it is an essential, and at least for me, non political tool in Mexico.

10 comments:

  1. I’m in the Wildavsky camp. While FB and other venues have two major annoyances; censoring and wasted posts by some, there still remains a platform for postings which are worth both reading and responding; like this one would be if posted. Over the years I seem to have found ways to post what I think without being censored. I have also found friends or groups where the banter is informative and stimulating.

    In life I have always found much more satisfaction from being creative in response to obstacles and from seeking paths to resist and challenge things I do not like. You sir also prefer to resist and challenge. Both of these serve the community much better than retreating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister left FB following the recent congressional hearings. I continue on FB because my account is necessary to retain a parish FB account, and also because I have established my own FB strategy, to which I by and large hew.
    FB, with which I briefly check in usually daily, isn't a place I choose to spend a lot of time, it is not a news source, and I am uninterested in political posts or outrageous MEMES and trolls.
    For a time I would try to post articles I considered worthwhile from the Economist or a columnist I enjoy, but found that these were either not read or generated polarized rather than thoughtful response.
    Hence, I view FB as a platform for staying in light touch with folk, viewing their photography or recent events, and enjoying light humor. I do not look to find anything substantive on FB, and, though I do not always adhere to my own self-counsel, I do not bother to post much of substance there as it does not receive a useful hearing or promote useful conversation.
    I scroll past political posts of whatever opinion.
    We both enjoyed Rauch's 'CONSTITUTION OF KNOWLEDGE' Jonathan, which you suggested to me and which I read and appreciated...a fair description of the current state of engagement in the U.S. and beyond.
    As for you, I have never found Twitter of interest.
    I do rely on WhatsApp and on FB Messanger for communication in Mexico.
    I see useful parish possibilities for our parish Instagram site, though I have trouble sufficiently interesting myself in that platform to attend to its development.
    I know some people leave FB with a sense of moral outrage (my sister will say as much regarding her departure). My own approach is just to lightly use a platform, keep my posts on that platform light, and to not grow overly-earnest about FB. I surely didn't miss it when it was down (though I did miss WhatsApp that day!
    Best to you as you make a discernment regarding FB and other forms of social media.
    One reason for you to continue on the platform may be that good book of yours about which the world ought receive notice! ¡Saludos! George

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hola mi amigo!
    Lots of luck. My experience is one which makes me believe it might be totally impossible to really get rid of your FB account. I tried very hard to do so but was unsuccessful … Mr Zuckerberg owns us! I totally loathe that bunch of bloodsuckers but you’ll never erase your account. Take a good look at how completely they “own” the world. I try very hard not to read anything that’s posted on FB (sorry George!) and really doubt that my life is any worse off. They have nearly total on what we are permitted to read. FB a bunch of sleazy blood suckers slightly lower than a snake’s belly! I just pity those who seem to worship at Zuckerberg’s soiled altar. My only regret is that gobbled up WhatsApp which I am guilty of using a great deal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Jon. I'm sorry to have missed you while we were in San Miguel. I'm still on Facebook because I view it as a way of making a connection with people who aren't physically close. I don't see Facebook as a helpful medium for political discourse--or for discourse on any subject for that matter. Our digital attention spans are just too short, and there's no patience for reading long, detailed posts. And the medium itself seems to encourage brief response--which is the antithesis of thoughtful dialogue. So it seems to be contributing to the deep divide in our country. I hope you don't leave Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  5. FB is available to everyone. Just like cable news, they get it wrong (not very often and they usually recognize the fact), but is happens. How do we protect against this. I know that FB and Twitter are truly profit orientated. But I do not have the computer skills to know how to edit all comments made. I do not subscribe to either one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Except on very rare occasions, I stopped using any Facebook products some time ago. I do miss them as a way of keeping up with people but the company is simply untrustworthy. I believe there are good replacements for WhatsApp, which fb has gradually pulled into the same data gathering, privacy invading machine which runs fb and Instagram. I hope that truly decentralized choices in each category gradually replace the versions from fb, google, Amazon, TikTok, etc. I use the brave browser and duck duck go search engine on my phone. There is far more that I could do to guard my privacy but somehow leaving fb products seemed like a good first step. Also, I live about a mile from fb hq and I deplore the massive impact the company’s massive footprint has had on our community.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am in the same position as Canon Woodward. I use FB "lightly" mainly to keep in contact with friends, to hear about those who died or are facing medical challenges so I can pray for them, and to post photos I have taken in sharing travel which I only do when I arrive back home. For example, yesterday we just returned from a week in Teluride, CO where we experienced Fall aspen colors in all their glory followed 4-5 inches of snow -- photos I wanted to share with friends and FB is the easiest medium. Whenever I engage in political discourse, I am sorry because it just turns to personal attacks and vitriol not focused on the issues. I have unfriended many friends because I choose to see them as I did before they became filled with anger politics. When I call them or see them, it's like past times and FB would cloud the possibility of ongoing friendship. As with the Canon, mine is about maintaining relationships based on the past and now but not centered around political differences. I began teaching 7th/8th grade in 1970. I've been able to maintain contact with many of those students from 51 years ago which is amazing since we no longer live in the same place where I taught. It's such a joy to see them grow up, flourish, marry, and even have grandchildren. I don't know of any other way for a teacher to get such satisfaction from his work so many decades ago. This is the payoff for low wages and stressful work. So I choose to stay on FB because of all these advantages and don't see it as a place for engaging in serious and deep discussion about ideas. I can do that by e-mail or in person.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jonathan:

    I am flattered you would ask my opinion about Facebook and your pending decision. I, for one, would miss your contributions to Facebook. Getting to know you virtually and to learn from your thinking has been one of the "goods" I have received from Facebook.

    I first joined FB a bit over a decade ago for professional reasons. I needed to be more abreast of the way communication technologies were affecting my "profession" as a crisis and financial pr executive, so I could better advise my clients. It soon migrated into a vehicle for connecting with both close longstanding friends and relatives in a new way, and reconnecting with many people I have known and liked over the years--back to elementary school--but didn't consider close friends. For all these reasons, it has been useful. It has also been fun to join groups of common interest in areas where I have personal passions: flyfishing, the Eastern Sierras, the silent comedians, and all forms of jazz. Those feeds are just plain fun.

    Despite the pluses, I too have been considering abandoning Facebook. Or, in the alternative, shutting down my current page, eliminating the vast majority of "friends" on that page, and starting over with a much smaller band of folks (including you if you stay on).

    If I leave Facebook it would be for two reasons, one you can imagine, one you're unaware of. 1. I too am tried of being sucked into pointless debates with people who personalize disagreements or who simply don't choose to reason from anything other than confirmation bias. I ask myself, "why spend what time we have here on earth trying to persuade people to think more reasonably when they clearly do not want to do so, and are happy to insult you personally to boot?" I fear it is wasting precious time, and to build on an Emersonian phrase, turning the days from Gods into devils. My second reason for getting off and out is that as retirement comes closer I am investing more and more time and energy in my personal writing, most of which is poetry, some of which has been published, with I hope more to come. Although the poetry professors who have advised me have suggested maintaining a Facebook page, I am concerned about being canceled for some ridiculous reasons related to past posts or my past career and having my modest literary efforts denigrated for reasons of political correctness--even though I almost never write a poem with any political intent. I am not sure, however, it is possible to wipe the slate clean with Facebook.
    I am not sure where I will net out. But one thing about myself I have learned is that so long as I am on FB it will be very hard to refrain from reacting to political posts. I just don't seem to have that level of self control on a consistent basis.

    I hope this is helpful food for thought and would really like to stay in touch somehow if you (and/or I) abandon Zuckerburg's Folly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I miss when people drop off completely because it is more difficult to stay in casual contact. I have a fairly firm policy of posting rarely and only responding to pictures of food and children and animals and vacations, posting happy birthday and congratulations, and being aware that it's free because it isn't private and it's, at best, a marketing scheme.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jonathan,
    I think you batted .500 in your initial assessment of FB back in 2004. #1)Keeping up with old friends - great! #2)Political discussions - no way, not with their algorithms designed to encourage a high level of reactivity (or radioactivity?). I'd say stay for #1, but I can't say I've explored the alternatives. If you find a forum for #2, let me know.

    ReplyDelete